Connor Zilisch to Hendrick Motorsports in 2028 on Multi-Year Deal

Image Provided by: Laurel Sloan/ATYL Media

Connor Zilisch will join Hendrick Motorsports in 2028 on a multi-year deal, the team announced on Monday. The 20-year-old NASCAR Cup Series rookie will move into the No. 48 Ally Chevrolet being vacated by Alex Bowman after he retires following the 2027 season. Though Hendrick Motorsports prospect Corey Day was also floated as top candidate, Zilisch’s stellar motorsports resume made him Hendrick’s choice for one of the top rides in NASCAR.

“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” said team owner Rick Hendrick. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization. We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.”

Since his Cup career launched part-time in 2025 Connor Zilisch has driven for Trackhouse Racing. He joined the organization in January 2024 as a development driver at just 17 years old, before even making his NASCAR national series debut. This year he’s competing in the No. 88 Trackhouse Racing Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, the only rookie in the series.

From his breakout in the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series in 2024, Connor Zilisch has been one of the most promising young talents in the sport. He won his series debut at Watkins Glen International in September 2024, and followed it up with a dominant 10-win season the following year. Though Zilisch fell short of the 2025 championship, he emerged as a top prospect widely considered a future star of NASCAR.

“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” Zilisch said. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport, and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me. The chance to drive a Chevrolet for Mr. Hendrick, carry the colors of an incredible partner like Ally and compete alongside some of the best drivers and people in racing is what you work so hard for. I’m grateful for the confidence they’ve shown in me, and it’s my job to prove they made the right decision.”

Alex Bowman Clears the Way

Eryn Harris/ATYL Media

An open seat at Hendrick Motorsports was created by Alex Bowman‘s announcement that he’ll retire from NASCAR following the 2027 season. Though he’s battled multiple injuries in his career – most recently vertigo symptoms that sidelined him for four races this year – Bowman insisted his plan was always to retire at an early age.

“For me, it’s just a life timing thing and what I’m willing to do and put myself through to try to compete at this level,” Bowman said last month. “It’s really hard for me. It is everything I have every single day. All I do is train and sim and meetings and all this stuff to try to be competitive.”

Trackhouse’s Loss?

With their young star now on his way out, Trackhouse Racing has the final third of the 2026 season plus all of 2027 to collect any final returns from a driver once heralded as the future of their organization. Team owner Justin Marks parted with Daniel Suárez for the 2026 season to open a ride for Zilisch. As Zilisch navigates the learning curve of the Cup Series, Suárez is having a career year for Spire Motorsports.

“It’s a bittersweet moment for Trackhouse, but I am truly happy for Connor to get an opportunity that many drivers only dream of,” Marks said. “While our goal was always to have him in our cars for the long term, I’m still excited for the opportunity we have with him now and in 2027. At Trackhouse, our mandate remains to work hard, accomplish big things with Connor while we have him, and position this 88 Chevy team to move into the 2028 NASCAR Cup season ready for a new, inspiring, and talented driver that will author the next chapter in this amazing book we are writing. But not yet.”

It’s not yet clear who will inherit Connor Zilisch’s seat at Trackhouse Racing once he departs in 2028. Ross Chastain has been with the team full-time since 2022, while Shane van Gisbergen joined the ranks in 2025. Trackhouse as a whole has been behind their usual pace in 2026, save for van Gisbergen’s usual dominance in road course races.

Connor Zilisch’s Cup Career So Far

Eryn Harris/ATYL Media

After 24 races in his rookie NASCAR Cup Series season, Connor Zilisch has one top-10 finish and ranks 34th in the series standings. As a road course ace in several series, many of his best runs to date have been while turning both left and right. At Watkins Glen in May Zilisch was running second before his right-front tire blew with eight laps to go.

At Iowa Speedway this month Zilisch recorded his best ever oval finish in the Cup Series, placing 11th after qualifying eighth. “It definitely feels good to come back from the off weekend and have a solid day with this No. 88 Chevrolet team,” he said. “We got points in both stages and just missed a top-10 with an 11th-place finish.”

As he moves into Chevrolet’s flagship NASCAR Cup Series team, Connor Zilisch will have his best opportunity yet to realize his enormous potential as a racing star. On a team whose standards are wins and championships, Zilisch is well-poised to live up to sky-high expectations.

Share this :